Captain Grey

Last month saw the completion of this corner spots overhaul. Previously home to Café Denaro, Captain Grey captured this prime location, and transformed the 140 square meter venue.  Design Studio Biasol, who won the 2016 Restaurant and Bar Design Award for their Kitty Burns project, was commissioned to undertake the makeover. In true Jean-Pierre Biasol style, the buildings art deco charm was preserved, and the fit out was inspired by Miami’s Art Deco Architectural District. There’s pastel blue walls, elements of potted greenery, sleek curves and chrome components on the coffee bar, and terrazzo tiles on the benches. Blue metal framed shelves that match the café’s chic aesthetic, are mounted behind the coffee bar and display retail coffee beans and equipment.

Speaking of coffee, they source their beans from Code Black in Brunswick, and have all the tools to brew both espresso, and filter (including cold brew).

I couldn’t knock back a long black made from the spring seasonal blend, considering 60% of it was the natural Ethiopian Tawo Mok. The other 40% was composed of a washed Costa Rican; and blended together, they delivered a fruity cup, with juicy stonefruit tones. The single origin of the day was the Kenyan Karindundu, from the region of Nyeri. This washed SL28/SL34 had sweet juicy blackberry notes, with grapefruit acidity.

If you’re after a feed, Breakfast options include Eggs Benedict with dry cured streaky bacon; Ricotta hotcakes with crème fraiche; and not smashed Avo BUT Shattered Avocado with dukkah, labne, and adzuki bean salsa. The lunch menu features dishes with a military theme, such as the B6 with raw kale, Brussel sprouts, and adzuki beans; Captain Royale Wagyu burger with beer battered chips; and the GFC Captain Greys fried chicken.  Little captains can dine on popcorn chicken; egg and bacon on toast; ricotta hotcakes with maple and ice-cream; or mini burgers.

I may not be a fan of the Essendon Football Club, but I sure do love the cafes in this north western suburb.

Captain Grey
104 Fletcher Street
Essendon VIC 3040

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s